The government in India has passed numerous laws aimed at protecting women from violence, discrimination, sexual assault, child marriage and sex-selective abortions, among others. There is still much to be done, given the degree of discrimination and violence suffered by millions of women in India and around the world every day.
Here are some facts about the situation of women in India:
- 47% of girls marry before 18, 56% in rural areas.
- 1 in 4 girls does not reach puberty for various reasons (selective abortions, violence, early marriage, etc.)
- There are half a million gender-selective abortions a year.
- About 70% of women are victims of violence.
- One girl/woman is raped every 20 minutes.
At Asha-Kiran, we implement a gender-integrated approach in all our projects, which promotes equality and respect of fundamental and unquestionable rights.